Five reasons why the Jyväskylä Region is the Sauna Region of the World
Sauna is an essential part of the Finnish culture, and the Jyväskylä Region is proud to be the Sauna Region of the World. The declaration was done on 1st September 2015. Jyväskylä Region is located in Lakeland, and has some of the most spectacular places to dive into the sauna culture. From here, you can find some of the most unique destinations where sauna traditions are preserved from generation to generation, giving an opportunity to enjoy the authentic Finnish sauna experience.
1. Jyväskylä Region is the heart of Sauna Industry. Many big sauna companies are based or have started their production in the region. Companies such as Harvia, Huliswood, Honkarakenne, Savotta, Saunansydän, SunSauna, and SisuSauna are great examples of sauna companies from the Jyväskylä Region – Harvia is the biggest sauna stove producer in the world!
2. The Biggest Smoke Sauna in the world & the fleet of sauna rafts. The biggest smoke sauna in the world can be found from the Jyväskylä Region. Tupaswilla’s smoke sauna can accommodate as many as 150 bathers at a same time! Tupaswilla is not only known for this massive smoke sauna but also for its pampering peat treatments that make the skin glow! And when talking about number of people in sauna, let’s not forget Lake Jyväsjärvi’s possibilities for a unique sauna experience: The number of sauna rafts and house boats is continually growing in Lake Jyväsjärvi. Still, it doesn’t feel too crowded.
3. The Sauna Village. The Sauna Village in Jämsä preserves Finland’s famous sauna culture. The Sauna Village has probably the largest smoke sauna collection in the world. Since 2015 there has been more than 20 old smoke saunas moved to Jämsä Juokslahti Sauna Village; the oldest saunas are from 1700’s.
4. Amazing Sauna Services. Tourism companies in the Jyväskylä Region have concentrated their service production especially in saunas, which guarantees amazing sauna experiences for you. The sauna services are designed especially for international visitors. There are already 14 proud holders of Sauna from Finland quality certificate in the Jyväskylä Region’s sauna companies. The certificate guarantees an authentic and high quality Finnish sauna experience.
5. The Sauna Region Week. Since 2016, the Sauna Region Week has been organized in the Jyväskylä Region. There are dozens of sauna slots during the week in the region, and the locals and travelers are welcome to try out saunas at a low price.