Five reasons why Central Finland is the Sauna Region of the World
Sauna is essential part of Finnish culture, and Central Finland is proud to be the Sauna Region of the World. The declaration was done on 1st September 2015. Central Finland is located in the Lakeland, and has some of the most spectacular places to dive into the sauna culture. From here, you can find some of the most unique destinations where sauna traditions are preserved from generation to generation, giving an opportunity to experience an authentic Finnish sauna.
1. Central Finland is the Heart of Sauna Industry. Many big sauna companies are based or have started their production in Central Finland. Companies such as Harvia, Huliswood, Honkarakenne, Savotta, Saunansydän, SunSauna, and SisuSauna are examples of sauna companies from Central Finland. For example, Harvia is the biggest sauna stove producer in the world!
2. The Biggest Smoke Sauna & Many House Boats. The biggest smoke sauna in the world can be found from Central Finland. Tupaswilla’s smoke sauna can accommodate as many as 150 bathers at same time! It provides amazing sauna experience for everyone; you can even hold events in surrounding venue. And when talking about number of people in sauna, let’s not forget Lake Jyväsjärvi’s possibilities for sauna experience: The number of sauna boats and house boats is continually growing in Lake Jyväsjärvi. Still, it doesn’t feel too crowded.
3. The Sauna Village in Jämsä preserves sauna culture. The Sauna Village has probably the largest smoke sauna collection in the world. Since 2015 there has been more than 20 old smoke saunas moved to Jämsä Juokslahti Sauna Village; the oldest saunas are from 1700’s.
4. Amazing Sauna Services. Tourism companies in Central Finland have concentrated their service production especially in saunas, which guarantees amazing sauna experiences for you. The sauna services are designed especially for international customers.
5. The Sauna Region Week. Since 2016, the Sauna Region Week has been organized in Central Finland. There are dozens of sauna slots during the week in the region, and the locals and travelers are welcome to try out saunas at a low price.